The Old Parsonage, Grantham NH
Built in the 1860’s, this home has been added onto over the years: two increments of ell in back, dormers on the second floor. Before the turn of the century it was adjoined to a large barn. This was replaced in the 1920’s, by the Methodist minister in residence, with a two-story community hall, complete with kitchen and dining hall for town suppers and a stage for theatrical performances. When the roof collapsed in the early 1960’s, the hall was burned and removed by the fire department.
The current owners bought the property in 1987. At that point there was still a cast iron trough sink in the kitchen and the only bath was not fully plumbed. Gutted to the studs, the house was rewired and replumbed, insulated, and refinished. The wall between two rooms at the center of the house was removed to create a large country kitchen. Later, a mudroom replaced part of the back porch and a second dormer was added on the east to accommodate an upstairs bath.